Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 150: Swirls



I took some time today to head over to a local hardwood store to get some wood I need for my demo next month.  I picked up a piece of Mesquite that's 3x3x24, Cherry 3x3x38, and Maple 2 1/2x3x29.  Total cost was right around $37.  Not too bad.

I cut some of the maple up tonight and did some playing and some demo prep.  The piece on the left will end up as a multi axis goblet, the piece on the right was a bit of experimentation.










Side view of the experimental piece.  I was going for a female form and I think I got pretty close to what I had in mind.
















I also wanted to mark the milestone 150th post.  I finish turned a Shoestring Acacia bowl and decided to do some burning on it.  This piece (with my 5 year-old daughter Becca as spokesmodel) was the result.  Becca helped with the burning, she held the pen while I controlled the placement and pressure on 2 of the of the 100+ brands.  She also helped wipe on the oil finish.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cute pic. My daughter, Kalli (3 yrs old), loves hanging out in the garage with with me too. It's great to be able to share that with the lil one's. Keep the blog going man!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete