Monday, May 31, 2010
My 2 tries today that were less than successful. Both are now in the recycling bin. Shoestring Acacia on the lef and Cherry on the right. I'm planning to texture the outside of the box to accent the grain and to help hide the joint.
To solve the turning problem I have to do 2 things. 1) I need to get a new blade for my bandsaw so I can make the separation between the 2 halves of the box cleaner. 2) I need to rethink my standard box turning procedure.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Special preview of my President's Challenge piece for next month. The challenge is "Natural Edge" and I decided to do something I haven't done before, a pen with a natural edge on the closed end. I still have to do the cap end and finish assembly but the hard part is done. I also swept and vacuumed up the shop, after all the big turning this week my recycle bin is completely full.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Sunday, May 23, 2010
I cored the blank using my McNaughton set. I had problems using the largest blade which cause the core to not be very deep. I was able to get 3 bowls out of the blank but should have gotten at least one more, possibly 2. As is they're 17 1/4", 12" and 8 1/4" diameter.
Saturday, May 22, 2010
I made the trip over to my friend Les's shop tonight. He's a fellow woodturner I met a couple months ago. He visited my shop last week so I visited his tonight. He makes Native American style wooden flutes (among other things). I enjoyed seeing his shop and his tools, one major advantage he has over me is that his shop is connected to the house which means it's heated during the winter and cooled during the summer. Seeing the process for making his flutes was interesting and way more complicated than I thought it would be and is more than I'm willing to take on at this point.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Sunday, May 16, 2010
My last minute club demo was yesterday. Things went pretty well for doing it on such short notice. I did a small bowl in Jacaranda, a small natural edge bowl in jacaranda, and then trued up the ouside, inside, and bottom of a dried Shoestring Acacia roughout from back in November. As planned I only used 2 tools,a 1/2" Crown Pro-PM bowl gouge and a 3/8" Crown Pro-PM spinde gouge. If I get a chance I'll get photos of the bowls I did during the demo and post them later today.
Friday, May 14, 2010
Last minute preparation for the club meeting tomorrow. Making sure I have everything I need for my demo, including the lathe, tools, handouts, wood, all of my pieces for the President's Challenge, and a couple of pieces for the Instant Gallery.
I also spent a while cleaning up and turning the pendant shown to the left. It's Buckeye Burl with a blue cabochon out of an unknown stone.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
I did a small lidded box in Visco (Acacia Visco) heartwood and sapwood with African Blackwood inlay.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
African Sumac (left)
Desert Ironwood (right)
Box Elder Burl (left)
Oak Burl (right)
and the big bin is a mixture including Redwood Burl, Mesquite, Saguaro Cactus rib, Honey Locust, Myrtle, and a variety of other other blanks.