Monday, November 30, 2009
This piece is about 6" diameter and 7" tall and was roughed to about 1/2" thick. The cuts on the outside aren't very clean and the overall shape will change quite a bit before it's finished.
I decided to apply a quick coat of oil to help slow the drying process a bit. It also darkned the colors so they appear much like they'll appear on the finished piece.
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Unfortunately I took this piece back out to the shop to sign it tonight and it fell off of the lathe onto the concrete floor and sustained major damage. It already had several minor cracks around the opening and when it hit the floor it broke in multiple pieces around the top 1/4 of the piece. The opening went from 1 1/4" to close to 4" instantly. I haven't decided whether to try and save it or if I should scrap it completely.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
This was turned from a whole log as the overall shape of the log was similar to what I would start out with after cutting a round log in half.
Friday, November 27, 2009
I told them they're welcome to come back and we'd turn a pen or something but I won't discuss religion with them. The one on the right is likely leaving the area on Wednesday and as a result didn't think he'd be back so I sent him on his way with the small olive bowl he's holding.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Unfortunately this piece had some burl figure to it, fortunately it was all sap wood so it wasn't a huge loss.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
What little I did get done is for an idea I had a couple of nights ago. I don't want to give away too much but it's a very small project but also very ambitious. In total it will be turned on 16 centers and should only be at most 3-4" diameter.
The layout marks for the 16 centers are to the left.
I may end up doing this over as I'm not completely happy with the spacing of the holes, I think the drill bit may have wandered slightly on some of the holes but this may not matter in the end. I'll probably work on a prototype out of Box Elder before I break out the Holly that I plan to use on the finished piece. If the Box Elder works out I may end up using this one again, if not I'll make another one before I break out the Holly.
I also received a call from a fellow woodturner tonight, he was on his way back home and wanted to know if I wanted a fresh cut olive log. Of course I do. He dropped off a nice heavy olive log and I sent him on his way with one of the shoestring acacia logs I got 2 weeks ago. I think I got the better end of the deal.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
We'll miss you Daisy.
http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-67-buckeye.html) with a couple of photos on day 69 (http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-69-au-pair.html)
Tonight I sanded it inside and out using my vacuum chuck before applying a coat of oil.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
When I was elected Vice President of the AWA I knew one of my duties was going to be booking our demonstrators and I knew that Molly was near the top of my list. It took almost a year to bring everything together but today was the big day.
More of Molly's work can be found on her website, http://www.turningmaven.com and in galleries such as Del Mano Galleries, http://www.delmano.com/artists/wood/mWinton/portfolio01.htm
Friday, November 20, 2009
I cut up a piece of olive this evening that I've had for a long time, probably close to 5 years. I don't know what possessed me to cut it up tonight but I did.
This is about 1/2 of the piece, these 3 are about 3" thick and are from the side of the piece with quite a bit of burl.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
I didn't realize this was an anniversary, wasn't feeling particularly motivated tonight, and didn't really have a project in mind when I headed out to the garage. I've been kicking around this piece of wood for quite a while, it's been in this form for at least 9 months and was in my garage as a whole log for an additional 8 or 9 months. This is actually the third piece turned from this log. The other 2 were turned back on days 1 - 3. This piece is from the log immediately above the piece in day 3. The log centers (piths) on each side of the opening on that hollow form are the centers of each half of this piece.
This is a quick shot of the "business end" of the lathe with the nearly finished piece.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
I already have an idea on how I can evolve this idea on the next piece, I'm still working some of the specifics out in my head but I'm pretty sure what I have in mind will work.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
I did get a little shop time both before and after his visit, enough time to turn the small box shown here. I've been working on a method to lock a box closed and one possible solution came to me late the other night.
The hole in the top half of the box will secure a small pin that will protrude through the lid and into a groove cut into the tenon on the bottom half of the box.
Monday, November 16, 2009
I also had an idea late last night, I put very rough sketch down on paper shortly after midnight. If I have time either before or after my visitor tomorrow night I'm going to try a simple prototype. If not I may just do a more detailed sketch.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
I wanted to get something done today do I grabbed a hollow form rough out from off the shelf and went to work. This piece was roughed out back on days 45-46 (http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-45-acacia-hollow-forms.html & http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-46-hollowing.html)
I roughed it to just 1/2" thick so the roughly 40 days spent drying should be enough time for it to be sufficiently dry.