Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
No photos tonight, I gave a lesson to a fellow turner on how to turn collars for hollow forms. He brought over 2 Mesquite hollow forms he'd recently finished along with a chunk of Wenge for the collars. I turned the first one and the he turned the second. We used a shop made jig I call a compression chuck. I use similar jigs and techniques to turn the solid wood rings that i use for bases on some of my round bottom bowls.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Sunday, September 27, 2009
The martini glass is Mahogany, the pimento is a small piece of Padauk, the toothpick is a small sliver of sapwood from the same piece of Padauk.
I had a problem hollowing the olive and got it a little too thin which caused the step to break off. To solve this I inserted the stem into the olive and when I drilled the hole for the toothpick I made sure it went through the stem as well. It's secured fairly well with just the toothpick acting as a pin to hold it in place.
Not much spare time yesterday but I did manage to get some work done before I headed off to run a couple errands and go play in my monthly poker game.
Sissoo nested set. I think this is the 2nd to last piece of Sissoo to rough out. I'll probably do the last piece today just so I'll be done with it.
Both errands last night were also turning related, I delivered a hot dog to its new owner and I met with a new turner at his home in Anthem to give him a few pointers and answer a few questions. Combine that with a poker game that lasted until well after midnight and I didn't find the time to write the blog entry yesterday.
By the way, I came in 6th out of 31 players in the poker game, they paid the top 5.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Here you can see 2 of the jaws have been removed, this will allow the piece to be moved from side to side to accommodate the second axis. This blank is Mesquite and is about 3 1/2" square and 10" long.
I'm still figuring out how to finish the base.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Judy and I stopped by the Chandler Center for the Arts Vision Gallery today as I wanted to snap a couple of photos of the installation and my pieces. Today was supposed to be the last day but I learned this afternoon that it has been extended to 10/3/09.
This is from the North end of the gallery looking straight South.
I still have a couple of pieces of this burl, including one that's probably about 18" across.
This is the multi axis piece with the captured ring I sketched in the link above. I think it's extremely close to what I sketched. I still need to finish the bottom of the base, the method I thought I was going to use won't work because of the multi axis element.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Another vacation day spent cleaning (mostly). I can see the top of this cabinet for the first time in quite a while. I also spent a lot of time organizing my tool box. The storage box on the right is full of pen blanks as are the 3 boxes in the middle. The dust collector, table saw, and compressor are to the left, the drill press is to the right. The stereo sits on top of the pen blank storage box.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
I can walk all the way around the lathe for the first time in a long time.
The pile in the back left corner is mostly Desert Ironwood with some Mesquite and Olive mixed in.
Middle left (not shown) are 2 shelves with Eucalyptus Burl and Cottonwood Burl.
Front left is a mixture of Mesquite, Sissoo, Palo Verde, and Ash.
The shelves in the back are dry roughouts of various woods including Mesquite, Mulberry, African Sumac, Desert Ironwood, Quaking Aspen, Poplar, Acacia, and others. The bottom 2 shelves in the back have more Desert Ironwood and Mesquite logs.
Tomorrow should be all the small stuff, mainly cleaning up counters, cupboards, and shelves.
Monday, September 21, 2009
The log to the left is Pecan, the log to the right is African Sumac.
I still have a ton of stuff to clean tomorrow, including several very large and very heave pieces of Desert Ironwood.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Today I decided to finish another hot dog bun, this one is out of Shamel Ash and like the others is 6" long and 2 1/4" diameter.
I also roughed and cored one of the pieces of Acacia I got yesterday. The blank was just under 16" square and was close to 100 pounds before it was trimmed to fit on the lathe.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
From 10 to Noon I had a Desert Woodturning Roundup committee meeting. Noon to 4 was the Arizona Woodturners Association monthly meeting. After the meeting I dropped a friend's house as he had some wood for me.
This sketch is an idea for a hollow form I've been kicking around for a while but haven't put to paper. I plan to cut windows out of the top of the piece leaving a bridge of wood surrounding the hole used to hollow it out.
Eccentric stem with a captured ring. I'd like the ring to be small enough to be captured between the transitions from the 2 centers.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Curly poplar bun with Sapele hot dog. Both are very close to life size.
So I went with option #3. I cut the notch first and then glued a temporary waste blocks onto each end so I could center the block properly. A bit of turning, a bit of sanding and a quick coat of oil and it looks good enough to eat.