Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 37: Chandler and challenge



Judy and I stopped by the Chandler Center for the Arts Vision Gallery today as I wanted to snap a couple of photos of the installation and my pieces.  Today was supposed to be the last day but I learned this afternoon that it has been extended to 10/3/09.

This is from the North end of the gallery looking straight South.






One Man's Trash.  Bug eaten Palo Verde.  This log almost went into the recycling bin a couple of years ago.  I was cleaning the shop and had tossed this log section into the pile to be recycled.  At the last moment I decided to cut into the log and was amazed at what I saw.  I still have several pieces of this log left to be turned.













 Off Broadway.  I drove past this tree every day for almost a year. I could see the burls on the side of the tree as it stood dead in an empty lot.  One morning I noticed that the tree had been cut down and I made a detour to investigate, hoping that it was still there.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it laying in the middle of the lot along with several pine trees.  I called my wife from work and convinced her to bring me my chainsaw, I was going to salvage as many of the burls as possible on my lunch hour!

I still have a couple of pieces of this burl, including one that's probably about 18" across.







Tonight I worked on turning one of the goblets I'm planning for next month's President's Challenge.

http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-32-sketch-book.html

This is the multi axis piece with the captured ring I sketched in the link above.  I think it's extremely close to what I sketched.  I still need to finish the bottom of the base, the method I thought I was going to use won't work because of the multi axis element.

No comments:

Post a Comment