Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 29: I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner...

Not a lot of time in the shop tonight, I was in there just long enough to turn a bun for the hot dog that I turned last night.

Curly poplar bun with Sapele hot dog.  Both are very close to life size.







Alternate view.  I wanted to do the bun as a single piece but I knew that if I cut the notch before I turned the bun that It would end up smaller than I wanted and with the notch extending less than half way through the bun as I needed solid wood for both the drive center and the live center.  The other option is to cut the notch after turning the bun round but I didn't feel like I could do that safely and accurately.






So I went with option #3.  I cut the notch first and then glued a temporary waste blocks onto each end so I could center the block properly.  A bit of turning, a bit of sanding and a quick coat of oil and it looks good enough to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment