Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 21: Copper and thunder claps

Very little time in the shop last night and no pictures to show for it.  I decided to experiment with embedding copper into a bowl.  I have several piece that have screw holes in them and I thought I'd try to glue some copper into the holes to fill them and to provide a nice contrast to the wood.  I have some copper BBs on hand and decided to use those.  I drilled the holes slightly larger to accommodate the BBs, It was only after I had glued them in and started to turn did I learn that the BBs are actually steel BBs with a copper coating and that I had drilled the holes to slightly different depths.  I also learned that the piece of Cottonwood I was using was significantly softer than I thought it would be.  The end result is that the piece is now in several pieces and is headed to the dump to be composted.

After this debacle I decided to go storm chasing and ended up staying out well past midnight.
A composite of 3 shots taken over a 10 minute period near Canyon Lake.









A single shot taken from Usery Pass looking north toward the Fountain Hills/Fort McDowell area.  










A composite of 10 images taken last week near the Loop 202 & US 60 junction in East Mesa.

No comments:

Post a Comment