Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 23: Roadblock

One of my chucks has been giving me problems for a while now and last night decided to stop working all together.

I decided tonight I was going to take it apart and swap some parts with another chuck to get it working again, what I found once I got inside has me perplexed and more than a little bit angry.

I hoped to swap one pinion on each chuck so each chuck had one good pinion and one bad pinion but I found the internal parts incompatible between the 2 chucks.

One of the chucks had a scroll ring with 45 teeth and pinions with 10 teeth while the other has a scroll ring with 39 teeth and pinions wih 9 teeth.
I opened a 3rd chuck and also found a scroll ring with 39 teeth and pinions with 9 teeth. The 2 incompatible chucks were purchased from my local Woodcraft store about 2 1/2 years ago about a week apart, the 3rd chuck was purchased from the same store a couple months ago.



Now I'm down a chuck until I can get this corrected.  While I had all 3 chucks disassembled I swapped the rings and pinions on the chuck that was having problems and the chuck that I use the least so I'm not completely dead in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment