Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 24: Disaster and distraction

Tonight I decided to do a medium sized pie out of some Elm I've had for a little over a year.  I started roughing out the outside shape.














After roughing out the bowl portion I parted off a section of the top that would become the ring for the lid.  Shortly after that disaster struck when the ring broke in half.  I don't believe this one is fixable.









I'm not sure what I'll do with the bowl yet.  The rabbit just below the rim that was intended to support the ring on the lid now looks out of place but the bowl may not have enough material left to blend it in nicely.













 I was then distracted by an incoming storm.  I took a number of photos from behind our house, this is easily the best of the bunch, a single 34 second exposure.  The mountains silhouetted by the lightning are the Superstition Mountains which rise from about 1600 feet to nearly 5000 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment