Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 20: Float like a butterfly

I decided to turn the other half of the 2nd log today.  I wanted to do the other half of the large crotch but didn't think I'd have enough time and I knew I wouldn't have enough space in my recycling bin for all of the shavings.

I tried to document the process a bit better, here the half log has been partially rounded on my bandsaw and a 3" faceplate attached.









The faceplate has been threaded onto the lathe and the bowl is ready for turning what will be the outside of the largest bowl.  The bark has been stripped off in order to keep my tools sharper longer as the bark quite often has dirt and sand imbedded in it.








Safely spinning at 450 RPMs.  Once the piece is balanced the speed can be increased.











The outside shape has been formed and a tenon formed on the bottom.  The tenon will be gripped in a 4 jaw chuck so the center of the bowl can be removed.









The bowl has been flipped and secured in a 4 jaw chuck.  The face showing here will flattened and will end up as the rim on the bowl.










Using special tools I am able to remove the center of the bowl in 1 piece which can then be made into a smaller bowl.










Here you can see how the tool is arced into the bowl to remove the center as 1 piece.  Without this tool the center of the bowl would be turned into shavings and wasted.

Note the core with the faceplate still attached can be seen at the bottom.







The inside of the bowl has been cleaned up with a bowl gouge.  It will be placed in a paper bag and will dry for several months.










The core removed above (with the faceplate still in place) has been mounted on the lathe and the outside shape has been formed in addition to another tenon.














  Flipped once again and mounted in a chuck the core is removed to form a third smaller bowl.











An action shot of the inside of the bowl being cleaned up with a bowl gouge.

Note this shot was very difficult to take as I was only controlling the tool with one hand while taking the photo with the other.  Normally my left hand would be on the tool right at the bottom of the photo.






All 3 pieces roughed out and ready to be bagged.  They will be ready to finish in about 6 months.

All of the shavings on the floor are from this set of 3 bowls, it's not the cleanest hobby.












I had to do some repairs to the Mesquite Pie from Day 17.  There were 2 cracks in the rim that I've already glued twice but the force of the strips caused one of the side to open up again.  I decided the best action was to repair it using a pair of butterfly joints.

I cut the ebony butterflies and then hand carved the recess for them to fit into.  This was my first attempt at a butterfly joint and the carving wasn't the best so the epoxy was tinted black to fill any gaps.



While I was at it I applied a coat of oil to the entire piece inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment