Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 32: Sketch book




A peek into several sketches from tonight.  Almost everything I did today was related to woodturning but ironically I didn't spend any time in the shop.

From 10 to Noon I had a Desert Woodturning Roundup  committee meeting.  Noon to 4 was the Arizona Woodturners Association monthly meeting.  After the meeting I dropped a friend's house as he had some wood for me.

This sketch is an idea for a hollow form I've been kicking around for a while but haven't put to paper.  I plan to cut windows out of the top of the piece leaving a bridge of wood surrounding the hole used to hollow it out.


Simple vase form.

















Another fairly simple form.

















Square opening.  This will involve a fair amount of hand carving and sanding but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
















Similar form to the drawing 2 spots up but with a curved slot extending from the opening down the side of the piece.
















The President's challenge for October is "Goblets".  I have a couple of ideas I'd like to try.

Eccentric stem with a captured ring.  I'd like the ring to be small enough to be captured between the transitions from the 2 centers.













Eccentric turning on the stem again, this time with an offset sphere.

















A continuation on the goblet above but with the sphere centered.  The twist here is that I want to hollow the sphere, paint it olive green and then insert a small piece of red colored wood and a toothpick so that it looks like a pimento stuffed olive stuck in the middle of the stem rather than in the drink.













Last one tonight.  Goblet with an angled rim.  I could hollow it out and then cut it at an angle but that would be too easy.  I plan to cut it first and then hollow it, possibly adding a captured ring as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment