Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 36: Cleaning day 3



Another vacation day spent cleaning (mostly).  I can see the top of this cabinet for the first time in quite a while.  I also spent a lot of time organizing my tool box.  The storage box on the right is full of pen blanks as are the 3 boxes in the middle.  The dust collector, table saw, and compressor are to the left, the drill press is to the right.  The stereo sits on top of the pen blank storage box.






Somebody dumped a tree in the desert behind our house a couple days ago and I've had my eye on it for as long as it's been there.  Today I decided to grab it and throw it on the lathe even though I knew it was a variety of pine.  Several of the knots line up nicely and I was hoping for it to look like Norfolk Island Pine (which is not actually a pine)







Light shining through the knots.  I turned it as thin as I dared.  Unfortunately I got a little to thin when turning the base and cut through the bottom a little bit.  I'm considering a couple of different ways to possibly save this piece.









Speaking of Norfolk Island Pine, I started to refinish this bowl tonight.  It had a very thick and uneven coat of oil built up and I'm in the process of sanding all of that off and back to bare wood.










I have the outside sanded smooth, the inside still needs quite a bit of work.  I'm hoping to have this one done in time for the Sunnyslope Art Walk on 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment