Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 180: Endless possibilities

I spent an hour this morning organizing after yesterday's event as I didn't unpack yesterday and I'm supposed to have a visitor tomorrow.  The club lathe and stand were removed from the back of our SUV along with some of my tools and a big chunk of wood. One of the other turners at the Woodcraft event yesterday brought along this big chunk of Oak burl and somehow it ended up coming home with me.  I now owe him some wood for my half of the trade.  It's a pretty big piece, almost 12" tall, deep, and thick.









 Pictured with a 1 gallon paint can for size perspective.

















 Another view.  I'm leaning to cutting into 2 or 3 smaller pieces but I haven't made up my mind yet and I plan to think on it for quite a bit.  Once it's cut there's no putting it back together.  I think that however it ends up getting cut and turned I'll try to retain the natural edge on the top.














This is the prize I won in yesterday's competition.  It's a 55 degree close quarters drill with 5 hook and loop sanding interface pads.  I tried out the drill this morning and it's very nice, it should help improve my sanding quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment