Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 167: Experimental

I've been kicking around an idea in my head for a couple of days and got around to trying it out tonight.  Cindy Drozda makes a very ornate 3 sided hollow form and I thought I could make something similar but put my own twist on it, literally. 

http://www.cindydrozda.com/Assets/html/ImagePages/8430SeedsofChange.html

My first attempt wasn't very successful.












The second attempt was much better but there's still room for improvement.  I think I rounded off the top and the bottom too much and that disguised the twist on the faces.















A profile view better shows that the twist is actuall there.  The windows on the sides of the piece are partiall turned (in the areas where the outside is larger than the inside) and then smoothed with a small sanding drum in a Dremel rotary cutter. 

I think I'll play with this a bit more, a taller and narrower piece should accentuate the twist as will better profiles both inside and outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment