Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 314: Getting a handle on things

Credit goes to my wife for tonight's project.  I recently purchased another handle for my mini hollowing rig.  I commented that I wanted a third one so I wouldn't have to change bits and she asked if I could make my own instead of purchasing yet another handle. 

I've had a piece of Lignum Vitae for a little while and it was the perfect size for this.  The ferrule is more brass pipe, it's actually the threaded end I cut off of the pipe coupler I used for the center band on my big pen.  The bit was simply press fit into the 7mm hole I drilled in the end.  The finish is a wiped on coat of Danish Oil and then quickly buffed with white diamond.

Lastly I wanted to be able to tell the difference between the 2 red handles so I chucked one up and turned the end of the handle so it's bare aluminium.

Additionally I got an email today from the club up in Prescott.  I've demonstrated for them the past 2 years and they want me to demo for them again next year.  I'll have to come up with a new topic.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment