Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 306: Dia Del Padre

My Father's day was split in 2 halves.  I spent the morning in the shop roughing a piece of Shoestring Acacia.  The bowl would have been quite a bit deeper and would have had another bowl in the set except there was a huge crack from the pith that meant I needed to cut about 2" off the top of the blank.  As it turns out I think that was actually a good thing as I think I'll be able to incorporate that wood into another project I have in mind.











The middle of my day was spent with my wife and kids.  We made the trip to a recently opened aquarium (my 4 word review: decent but very expensive).  After returning home I headed back out to the garage for round 2.  A 17" piece of green African Sumac.  I cut it up with the chainsaw this morning at the same time I did the Shoestring Acacia.











It took me 80 minutes to rough and core this piece.  I also had to take about and inch off the top of this one because of cracks in the pith, that added a few minutes to the process but overall it went pretty well and I'm happy with the end results.  What I'm not happy about is the huge mess that resulted but that comes with the territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment