Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 290: Textured Spline Box

I wasn't sure what I was going to work on tonight so I finally decided to give the box I worked on earlier this week another try.  This time successfully.
I also textured the outside with a wire brush hoping that it would hide the joint a little better than it did.  I wasn't sure the Mesquite would texture very well, I thought it was probably too hard but I was wrong.  I'll probably try texturing Mesquite this way again.
The trick to doing this box was realizing that I couldn't turn a tenon.  Once I realized that the answer was pretty simple.  I turned a recess in each half and then turned a spline that fit into both recesses and acts as the tenon.  Another method would be to use magnets to hold the 2 halves together, I may have to give that a try sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment