Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 297: LaVonne and Dale

My next door neighbor is graduating dental school tomorrow evening and is moving to Oroville Washington on Sunday morning.  They've been really good neighbors so I wanted to give them a going away/graduation present.  LaVonne came over this afternoon and after looking at a bunch of different roughouts (Sissoo, Mulberry, Pecan, Mesquite, and Shoestring Acacia) we finally settled on a large Honey Locust salad bowl roughout.  I think it's appropriate as the wood came from Boyce Thompson Arboretum, which LaVonne liked to frequent.  There's no way I'll get it done before they leave on Sunday morning so I'll have to ship it to them once they're settled in.

I also had another visit this evening.  A fellow turner came over for a lesson.  He recently purchased a bowl coring system (allowing a turner to get multiple nested bowls from a single piece of wood) and was having some trouble getting it to work properly.  We turned and cored a piece of African Sumac he brought with him and then talked shop, lathes, woodturning forums, jigs, wives, kids, and work.  He has the same lathe I have and has been assembling the parts to a vacuum chuck and wanted to check out my setup.  Dale also has a woodturning blog:  turnsandtwists.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment