Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 313: The pen is mightier

More pen work today.  I got the clip and finial installed in the brass pen.












I also wanted to make a pen that was primarily wood, no visable external hardware.  This required some creative thinking on my part as I wanted to include a clip of some kind.  I selected a piece of Olive for this project.

I ended up cutting the clip into the body of the pen, this required using a short tube in the top and drilling just 1/2".  The bottom also uses a short tube and was also drilled only part way at 7mm.  The hole in the end for the refill was drilled significantly smaller, approx 3/32".  I used a 1/4" X 20 threaded rod for a closed ended mandrel which was held in a jacobs chuck for the turning.  The groove to form the clip was cut with a pneumatic body saw.  It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.     







No comments:

Post a Comment