Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 198: Finally fixed

Way back on day 23,, I ran into a problem with one of my chucks.  It's not one I use on a very regular basis so I put off ordering the parts to repair it until very recently.  The parts arrived today and it only took a few minutes to replace the worn parts and get everything reassembled.  Once reassembled I found that one of the pinions was just a hair larger diameter than it should have been and as a result didn't turn smoothly.  A couple more minutes to disassemble the chuck again, take some sandpaper to the offending part, and reassemble one last time and everything is working once again.  All 3 chucks are SuperNova2s, the bodies are all identical the only difference is the jaws on each.  From left to right they are the 1" pin jaws, 50mm (2") bowl jaws, and the 100mm Powergrip jaws.

I also turned a small Quaking Aspen hollow form that I think I'll do some burning on during the event on Saturday.  I was tempted to skip the burning on this one because of the colors in the wood but it got a little thin and cracked on me so I'm going to play with it a bit.  If things don't work out I can still toss it in the recycling bin.

This piece has some interesting color, it's split almost 50/50 grey and peach.  The grey half then has an island of peach in the middle of it.

 Side view showing the patch of color on the side.  I'm probably going to try to accent this with the burning but I don't want to completely cover the grey portion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment