Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 222: Challenge

The club challenge due in April is Multi-Axis turning as I demonstrated at the February meeting.  I've had a couple ideas kicking around in my head for a while and I finally got around to turning another one of them tonight (I previously turned a 3 sided pendant back on day 203, http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2010/03/day-203-tri-pendant-iii.html)

This is a 3 sided peppermill with a 120 degree twist in East Indian Rosewood.








This was more difficult than I thought it would be.  I had some problems along the way that were partially my fault.  Among the problems was that the joint between the top and the body wasn't very tight (and it shouldn't be so the top can turn freely to drive the grinding mechanism).  This allowed the 2 halves to shift slightly during a heavy cut. 












I still have quite a bit of work to do, sanding, finishing, turning the top and bottom, and final assembly of the mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment