Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 359: Mark II

Continuation of Mark II.  The inside was turned but not sanded, I had a horrific catch, probably the worst catch I've ever had.  It ripped the piece off of the backer plate and then tore the backer plate out of the chuck when the scraper I was using slipped into the gap on the interrupted cut.  Luckily I was out of the line of fire when this happened.  Had I been in the way the damage could have been serious.  I had safety glasses on but that much mass moving that quickly would have hurt, or worse.

Bottom view.  I still need to sand this inside and out.  I was going to work on that tonight but my electric drill decided to stop working so I spent an hour or so disassembling and then reassembling it.  I finally got it working again but by then it was time to call it a night.

I'm pretty happy with how this came out but it's still not 100% what I thought it would be.  I didn't realize that cuts on the inside of the ends on the bottom would be concave and would interact with the outside of the piece so that the ends are curved.  I had envisioned them being flat but now realize that's not possible.  In this photo you can see the area of the catch on the left hand side where the bark is knocked off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment