Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 284: Fruition

My natural edge burl bowl came to fruition today.  I carefully cut 4 pieces of plywood so the burl sat level in them and then used hot melt glue to temporarily secure the plywood to the bottom of the burl.  The plywood was then secured to the backer plate with 1 1/2" wood screws.

 Side view showngthe plywood supporting the natural edge of the burl.  It seems I overdid it with the hot melt glue.  I probably could have gotten away with half of what I used, the plywood was rather difficult to get off after I was done.

I also decided to move the whole piece off center and turn another small bowl in the top.  To offset the weight imbalance I screwed some counter weights (steel pen bushings) to the opposite side of the backer plate.

  Finished piece with a single coat of oil. 

Bottom side of above after turning.  As planned it shows no evidence of how it was secured on the lathe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment