Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 338: Olive Burl

This was my mystery burl from the guessing game back on day 295.  I decided to rough turn it this evening while the weather was cooler than normal.  I thought I was going to be disappointed with this piece as it didn't contain any heartwood.














I was pleasantly surprised to find a fair amount of color inside, but it's not heartwood.  I think it's a stain, possibly a form of spalting.
















Alternate view.  The wood is Olive so that means checks.  It's pretty much impossible to dry olive without it checking badly, this is particularly true of reaction wood and burls. 















Roughed and cored.  They're now bagged and on the shelf to dry.













Bottom view.  I'm hoping they don't crack too bad during the drying process.  I'll probably end up filling cracks with either epoxy and coffee grounds or epoxy and crushed turquoise.  I'm thinking that the Turquoise will contrast with the darker heartwood more than coffee grounds will.

No comments:

Post a Comment