Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 247: Contrasts

The May President's Challenge is 'Contrasts, sapwood and heartwood'.  I'm planning this to be one of my pieces for this challenge.  It's Desert Ironwood root.  I chose Ironwood because of the extreme contrast between the heartwood and sapwood.  I've had this piece for close to 2 years and had intended to turn it before now but just never quite got around to it.  I roughed the outside last night but because of yesterday's subject didn't post it.










Tonight I filled some of the cracks with epoxy and coffee grounds, cored out the inside, turned the interior, and then filled cracks on the inside with epoxy and coffee grounds. It doesn't look very good right now because of the excess coffee grounds but I'm confident that it's going to be amazing when it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment