Saturday, October 1, 2011

Collaborations


Both of these pieces are at least a couple years old, both are also collaborations with my Mom.  First is a Mesquite hollow form I turned 2 or 3 years ago.  My mother asked for several pieces that she could do some carving on.  She's done some relief carving on a couple other pieces I've given her so I thought she'd do more of the same so this piece was left between 1/4-3/8" thick.  Little did I know she intended to pierce it.  Thickness is the enemy of piercing so this took 10X longer than it would have taken if the piece was turned to 1/8" thick.


She surprised me by giving it back to me as my Christmas gift in 2009.  I know how much work went into this which makes me appreciate it even more. 




This piece is some Honey Locust I got from Boyce Thompson Arboretum several years ago.  I turned a smal hollow form while it was still green but the rim cracked.  I sent it to my Mom and she cut, carved, and painted it in a Southwest motif before sending it back.




She and I were talking about this piece recently and she thought it was a gourd, not wood.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment