Thursday, October 13, 2011

Breakthrough


I worked on the spalted maple hollow form tonight. I didn't have much time so I didn't get as much done as I wanted but that's life. I did get about 1/2 of the hollowing done, including breaking open the void on the bottom/side. This is very helpful when this happens as I can now see and feel the wall thickness through the entire piece. Additionally the open void allows the chips to evacuate as I'm working. On a completely closed vessel the chips build up and can compact inside the piece. The lathe has to be stopped and the chips removed manually or by compressed air. An additional step I prefer not to have to do.







The bug holes will also allow me to better judge my wall thickness. I'm leaning towards putting a simple collar around the opening to dress it up a bit but I'm also open to making a pedestal/lid/finial combination to really push it over the top.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment