Saturday, February 12, 2011


A little more work on a couple different projects today.  I started this set of plates about 3 weeks ago,  They're not done yet but I did make some good progress today.  The backs still need to be finished but I'm happy with the progress so far.

I also continued work on my pie.  This and the next 2 photos are actually from yesterday.  The strip were cut from some 1/16" thick pieces of Basswood I picked up at the local hobby store.  At this point they still need some cleanup and some additional fitting.

The inside was turned, sanded, and a coat of oil applied.  This piece of Mesquite turned out to have quite a bit of character, much more than I originally thought.

The bottom was then turned and finished utilizing my vacuum chuck.  As I've stated here in the past I'm a big believer in vacuum chucks.  They don't work on everything but neither do most of the other methods for finished the bottoms (donut and longworth chucks, jumbo jaws, jam chucks, etc).

I still have a bit more fine fitting to do and I still have to decide if I'm going to oil the lattice pieces.  I experimented with burning on some scraps trying to give the strips a baked and browned look but the strips are so thin they burn before they have a chance to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment