Friday, January 28, 2011

Demo and coring

Woodcraft is having a big event tomorrow so I prepared some wood to use for turning demos to promote our local club and our upcoming symposium (http://www.desertwoodturningroundup.com/)









While I was at it I started to work on something completely new for me.  I bought this small piece of curly maple at Rockler earlier this month.  Our club challenge for March is "plates" and I knew what I wanted to do.  I've done a fair amount of coring but this was a different technique.  Normally when I core I'm doing bowls and I core in from the front face to extract a piece that's a smaller diameter than the larger bowl.  This technique is to cut in from the side, this allows you to retain the full diameter, just thinner.










I repeated the process to end up with 3 roughed out pieces all very similar.  Some may ask, could I have simply cut the piece into 3 slabs on the bandsaw prior to turning.  The answer is yes, but that wasn't my goal.  I was testing the coring technique and had there been more arc it would not have been possible with a straight cut, something that may come in handy in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment