The daily woodturning blog.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Another chunk of Madrone burl tonight. I think I have 4 left after tonight.
Tonight I wanted to turn a thin wall tube. I didn't get it as thin as the piece from yesterday (which I thought was a bit too thin). I wasn't sure how this was going to work out as the blank was only secured with a bit of superglue on the waste block - see above. The first half was hollowed with my bowl gouge, the second half I used my straight boring bar with a round scraper tip.
As I progressed deeper and deeper and then widened out the bottom end the glue surface area became smaller and smaller. In the end there was only about 1/16" thickness left on the wall at about 2 1/2" diameter. Very little left holding it in place but strong enough that I had to part it free.
2 trips to the microwave at 90 second each has the piece twisted and warped pretty nicely.
The top end warped nicely. The bottom end didn't move quite as much because it was just a little bit thicker. Now I have an idea in my head for the next piece. Now we'll see if I can get it done. I plan to do a test run with some scrap wood to see if it's going to work like I hope.