I had about 30 minutes to kill yesterday between work and the first board meeting of 2012 so I headed out to the shop to try and finish the canteen/flask. I started off doing a little more hollowing to reduce the thickness and the weight. Next I turned a small shoulder on the front face to accept the plug. Then I turned some decorative grooves to help hide the joint where the plug meets the front face.
Then the piece was reversed and mounted on my vacuum chuck, the tenon was removed, and matching decorative grooves turned. Last I turned the plug for the front face out of a matching piece of wood. You can see how the grain is similar, but does not match exactly on the photo above.
Last I drilled 2 holes in each of the upper lobes so the strap can be attached. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, it's still a prototype and a test of the technique and process so I didn't bother sanding at all. It's 99.9% turned, with only the 4 holes for the strap and the spout opening being drilled.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone