As I stated yesterday I intend to make a serious dent in my woodpile this year so I can get better organized. Today I tackled most of the rest of the Mountain Mahogany I have. These 5 pieces were all cut roughly round on the bandsaw this morning, then the turning began.
I considered not coring the bowls but decided I couldn't stand the thought of this gorgeous wood going to waste. It took longer to turn than normal because the wood is now mostly dry and nearly rock hard. This lead to some other issues as well.
One of the problems with very card and dense wood is the possibility of broken screws. On the 2 largest pieces I used a 3" steel faceplate and 6 #12 1-1/2" screws. Even with pilot holes drilled I broke the heads off of multiple screws. To extract them I cut straight in with a parting tool on both sides of the screw(s).
I then use a large flat head screwdriver to break away the thin ribbon of wood around the screw. If I'm in a hurry I will sometimes use the parting tool itself.
The screw can then be grabbed with a pair of pliers or vice grips and worked free. If it doesn't come out easily the grooves can be cut deeper and the process repeated until the screw is extracted.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone