Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Phase I


I think I've got the steps figured out. The blank is about 9 1/2 by 9 1/2 by 4 1/2. First it will be mounted in end grain (spindle) orientation and the outside profile shaped. I plan to turn a tenon on the bottom so I can drill and shape the opening. That tenon will be removed before moving on. The blank will then be switched to face grain orientation and a tenon turned on what will be the back side. The back profile will also be partially turned. Next the blank will be flipped over so the front face can be turned and the inside hollowed. I plan to do this through a large opening, probably 4" diameter. Next the blank will be flipped again and either jam chucked or vacuum chucked so the tenon can be removed and the back side finished. Then the plug to fill the opening on the front will be turned and then finally a stopper turned for the spout.





This is the blank I selected. It is a half log that started at 12" wide, 13" long, and 5 1/2" thick. I trimmed about 1 1/4" off each edge and the sliced about 3/4" off the back side that will be used to make the plug for the front side. I further trimmed the blank after doing the rough layout so there's less material to remove. Next up is the actual turning process.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment