Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Day 119: Jacaranda (IV)
More work on the Jacaranda today, it took 2 trips to the microwave (35 seconds on high, about 2 hours apart) before heading back out to the shop tonight to be sanded and finished. I thought the wood was very plain once sanded so I decided to experiment with color. It was airbrushed using a mix of Magenta and Black airbrush inks (Dr. Ph Martin's I've had for about 15 years). I then put it back on the lathe and turned away the ink right around the neck. It's not perfect and it still needs another couple coats of oil but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'm sure if it wasn't already promised to the friend I got the wood from my wife would have claimed it herself.