Saturday, March 3, 2012

Three quarters


3 out of 4 are now complete. This is a chunk of Sissoo from Boyce Thompson Arboretum that I roughed out about 6 months ago (http://agoodturndaily.blogspot.com/2011/09/labors-of-day.html?m=0).













This piece has some nice curl in some of the sap wood and surrounding a couple of the knots. Like all Sissoo it has great contrast between the heart wood and the sap wood. There was probably more sap wood on this blank to start with but I didn't want a solid band of sapwood around the middle of the blank.












The opening on this piece is slightly larger than I'd like, I had to true up the warping that occurred during drying. As a result the opening is about 1.2". I was shooting for 1" but that didn't happen. One upside: the larger opening did make hollowing easier.









Overall dimensions are 6.5" diameter and just a hair under 8" tall.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment