Sunday, August 14, 2011

Prototype save



Before I start turning the ebony I purchased I figured I should try to prototype a design in some scrap mesquite. I'm fairly happy with my first effort but I can see some room for improvement.

I think the finial could be taller and thinner, the stem on the pedestal could also be thinner and all of the other elements can be tweaked slightly.









To the left is the Macassar Ebony I purchased at my local Woodcraft. It appeared darker and more uniform in color when covered in wax but I've seen much lighter Macassar Ebony before too.

I think I'll do another couple prototypes before starting to turn the ebony. I may also try dyeing the Mesquite black to get a better idea what the piece will look like when it is finished.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment