Friday, August 12, 2011

Bad words

Tonight I decided to chuck up and hollow a good sized chunk of green Sissoo (Indian Rosewood - Dalbergia Sissoo).

I don't normally hollow green to finished thickness but decided to in this case. This piece is 9" tall and about 8" diameter. It could have been a larger diameter but I wanted less sapwood.

Unfortunately getting it down to final thickness on the bottom the green endgrain tore out, leaving a hole in the bottom about 1/2" diameter.

Normally I'd trash the piece at this point (as I did last night on a much smaller piece with a different problem) but I have too much invested in this piece. So now I have to figure out how to salvage it, but without making it look like a save. I have a few ideas already but I'm also open to suggestions.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment