Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bigger on the inside




I was able to get in about 90 minutes work this morning before things got too hot (it's currently 3:45P and 109F). This small hollow form was turned from a cutoff I saved the other day. It came from one of the Mesquite hollow forms I've been working on the last few days.









A penny gives a better sense of scale. Pennies are 3/4" diameter and the penny will no fit in the opening. I estimate the opening to be 5/8" diameter, slightly larger than the minimum 1/2" diameter of my tools.










I also spent some time hollowing the larger forms I have in progress. The bulk of the material still needs removed but the upper portions are more or less at the finished thickness.









The opening on this form is significantly larger but this is deceptive as it is still hollowed through a 1 1/2" hole. The portion of the opening that is lower than the top 1/4" cannot be used for hollowing.










This one has an opening about 1 1/4" diameter. I'm not certain my current tools can reach the largest diameter of either piece. I have some additional hollowing bars on the way and may need to have one custom made if the new ones don't work. Fingers crossed.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment