Monday, October 22, 2012

A little bit biased

Every year my club does an ornament exchange at our holiday party. Every year I try to do something unique. Last year I used a banksia pod, the year before that I used textured redwood, 3 years ago I turned and hollowed a multi axis Christmas tree out of Holly:

This year I wanted to take a completely different approach, something I've never seen before and using a technique most turners have never tried, let alone heard of.

I'm not quite ready to reveal the technique I used. I will eventually, perhaps when I make the final one for the exchange. This one is primarily a proof of concept; the final one will be smaller, probably about 1/3 smaller than this version. Until then leave a comment below if you think you know how it was done.

A few hints. The body is all one piece and there was no cutting, carving, or anything else. What you see is what you get; straight off the lathe. There's also another hint hidden in the post, if you know what you're looking for.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment