Monday, December 5, 2011

Frustration


A chunk of red stained Box Elder I started hollowing yesterday. I got the blank from Mike Mahoney this summer and rough turned the outside a couple months ago.











Everything looks good and hollowing was going along well until I heard the telltale tick tick tick of metal on metal. Investigation revealed that there was a nail hidden on the inside of the blank.









The nail had to have been driven into the tree and then the tree grew over the nail over many years. There was no outward evidence that a nail was hidden inside.














I set about trying to chisel enough wood from around the nail to free it. Alas it was not to be as I chiseled a hole straight through the wall (from the inside). After taking some frustration out (the rest of the marks on the outside) I decided to cut it in half, mainly out of spite.















The most frustrating part is losing a nice piece of wood like this, the second most frustrating part is the I still can't get the stupid nail out.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment