Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Threading II


I should be preparing for my demo on Saturday but I wasn't in the mood tonight so I decided to practice thread chasing some more.  I read somewhere long ago and reread again recently that PVC pipe is excellent for practicing threading.  I didn't have any PVC but I had some ABS and figured I'd give that a try.
It turns out that whoever recommended PVC (ABS) for practicing knew what they were talking about.  It's cheap, it's readily available, and it threads very well.










The 2 halves threaded together.  They go together well until they're almost fully seated, then I think that the total surface area in contact gets quite large and it gets harder to turn.  Wax may help this some but on a practice piece like this I'm not concerned.
A link to Steve's video is below, I've heard that the embedded video may not be working for some people.











http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXJMj6IX7k&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment