Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hanging on by a thread


Inspired by a video linked below (Thanks Steve) I decided to give thread chasing a try.  I've thought about trying it before but the expense of purchasing a set of thread chasers prohibited me from giving it a try.  Steve's video provided a way to give it a try with minimal investment so I decided to give it a try.









A quick trip to to Home Depot yielded a 1/2" X 13 TPI grade 8 bolt and a cut off wheel for my dremel.  A few minutes work with the dremel and a short trip to the grinder resulted in a tool I thought might work.  I tried it out on some scrap Mesquite and Maple before deciding to break out the Lignum Vitae. 






Here's another view along with my home made thread chaser.  I didn't really intend to make this a box, I was just playing around with the threads and ended up finishing it off.  The shape needs major improvement and I didn't bother doing much sanding.
Steve's full video can be seen below.

No comments:

Post a Comment