Monday, January 3, 2011

4th time's the charm

I was off today because of the holiday so I did some work in the shop.  I started hollowing the trio of pieces for the DWR auction.  This is the shortest of the 3 and it went very smoothly as did the middle one.









The tallest one was a different story.  This was my 2nd attempt.  It now resides in the recycling bin.












These are the 3rd (left) and 1st (right) attempts.  The first attempt doesn't look to bad in this photo but the size of the opening must match the other 2 so it got trashed too.  The third attempt developed 2 small cracks on opposite sides of the opening and I also got a bit thin about half way down. 








It took 4 tries but I finally had some success.  All 3 are 2 1/4" diameter and the heights range from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" to 2 3/4".  Each one is 1.25X taller than the previous one.










In this photo the middle one is just a hair too tall, I put it back on the lathe to take about 1/10" off the bottom to reduce the height to the 2 1/4" dimension I listed above. 

Next comes the burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment