http://www.desertwoodturningroundup.com). Sales were brisk on Saturday and almost non existent on Sunday due to the weather. It was cold and windy with some rain and hail in the morning. We moved from outside to one of the buildings after the weather turned bad but the damage was already done, attendance was down because of the weather and everything else was down because of it. Sales Sunday were about 5% of what was sold on Saturday, it was that bad.
The good news from Sunday is that I received permission from one of the staff members there to salvage a large Mesquite burl from the area near their burn pile. I spied it on Saturday as I was leaving and managed to track down the Director of Horticulture on Sunday and secured permission to come get it this week. Part of the deal is that either 1) finished pieces are returned to the Arboretum or 2) a percentage of the sale price is donated to the Arboretum. I've had this deal with them several times in the past and it's worked out well before.
I went out there this afternoon to load it up. Another staff member helped me load it up (after cutting off the smaller piece shown behind the burl). It took both of us plus a 3 ton floor jack to get it loaded in the back of my SUV. I'm guessing that it weighs in the neighborhood of 250 pounds as it stands tonight. For scale the piece in the background is 12" diameter and approx. 14" long. The burl is quite a bit bigger, probably 20" diameter and close to 30" long. It's Honey Mesquite and I've had my eye on it for a while, it hung over the entrance to their Demonstration Garden. The staff member that helped me load it up says he's been watching it grow for the last 25 years and is curious to see what's inside. This is my first Mesquite Burl and I'm not quite sure how to cut it for the best yield, unfortunately it's not really possible to know the best way to cut it until after the first cut is made and the figure (or lack thereof) can be seen.