Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Ornament, Birdhouse

My daughter's class was supposed to build birdhouses in class yesterday but she got ill Thursday night and stayed home from school on Friday when the build day was planned.  She was very disappointed that she didn't get to build her birdhouse so I promised her we'd make one today.  I'm not a cabinet maker or carpenter, I'm a turner so this was a bit out of my element but I think it turned out OK from a quick sketch.  I had to incorporate some turning into it somewhere so I turned the small perch out of some maple.  The rest is built out of pine and it's spray painted with grey primer.
 While I was out in the shop I decided to turn my Christmas ornament for next week's ornament exchange at the annual Arizona Woodturners Association holiday luncheon.  I had a different one in mind but was unable to find a necessary part locally.
The globe is turned out of redwood with the finial and icicle out of walnut.  I chose these because they're both very lightweight which is imporant because this is intended to hang on a tree.  The outside of the globe was textured with a wire brush to provide visual interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment