Sunday, September 5, 2010


I've been busy over the last couple of days.  Doing a fair amount of turning but I haven't been keeping up with my posts.  I'm trying a couple new things on some pendants, including some that aren't turned at all.  I also got a couple of Paua shells to use as inlays.

I also worked on a lidded box made from some Olive wood I've had for a long time.  It's one of my favorite styles, multi axis with a twist. 

The downside to this style is that they aren't lightweight because of the thick sidewalls.  I could have made it a little thinner but because of the overall shape it will always have a fair amount of heft.

I also started to work on my President's Challenge for September.  The challenge this month is to turn a pair or a set of items.  I knew I wanted to do a pair of candlesticks and I've wanted to do a pair in the Rude Osolnik style for a long time but I didn't want to do a straight copy.  I decided to do them with a multi axis twist, each twisting in the opposite direction.  I still have quite a bit of work to do, including sanding and finishing and they're slightly different heights so I'll need to fix that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment