Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hiatus




Today was my first real shop time in the last 2+ weeks. I got about 1/2 hour earlier this week but used it for cleaning and some organization. I had 2 projects in mind for the day and I think both were successful.












First is a bowl turned of some Ornamental Yew. I roughed out the bowl about a year ago and it seems to be the right size and shape for what I plan to do next. I plan to wrap the outside with leather. I purchased the leather earlier this year and never quite got around to do the leather work.












Next up was yet another base for my natural edge Box Elder Burl hollow form. It took me a while to find the exact right piece of wood. It's a small natural edge burl cap, also Box Elder Burl. This time I finally think I nailed it.













The top is slightly dished so the hollow form sits nicely but is also secure and stable. The natural edge was completely covered in bark so I spent as much time removing the bark as I did turning.












I didn't want to leave the bottom completely flat and plain so I ended up turning a small half bead and a shallow recess where the tenon was. No finish is applied yet. I still have some small bark pockets to take care of.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment