Monday, April 4, 2011

This post is actually a couple of evenings work put together. On Saturday night I did a new handle for the gavel. It's almost exactly the same length, it's just thicker and the threads have a slightly different configuration. The length was dictated by the length of the blank, it could stand to be another inch or two longer but this was almost all I have of this species.

On Sunday I decided I wanted to turn a matching sound block. I had saved a small piece of the matching wood just for this purpose. It was Approx. 3" X 3" X 1/4" so I knew I'd want to inlay it into another blank.

My first choices were Walnut and Mesquite but I wanted more contrast. I ended up selecting some Holly I've had for a while.

I wasn't sure how I was going to shape the profile, I ended up doing the same basic profile as the gavel itself. The underside of the Holly is hollow so there is a bit of a drum effect

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! The thicker handle looks a lot better too.