Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 12: Design

It was 112 degrees today so no shop time for me.  Instead I spent a few minutes putting some ideas I've been kicking around down on paper.

First is an idea I got about a 3 weeks ago after seeing a wall hanging by another artist that incorporated thin strips of wood (http://www.chandlercenter.org/visual-arts/exhibition-hall.html).  I'm a turner and wanted to figure out a way to incorporate some thin strips into a turning.

My idea is to replicate the look and feel of a lattice top pie using thin strips of wood woven together and secured in a solid wood ring to form the lid of the bowl.









  Cross section of bowl and "lid".  I found a local source for 1/32" thick basswood strips that will be used for the lattice top.  I plan to turn a solid wood rim for the lid an turn an angled groove in the inside that will be used to secure the strips.








Top view of the lattice top.  I drew it up as 5 X 5 but I may end up going with 4 X 4 instead. 











This idea is a bit hard to explain but the plan is to make a pen that has a locking mechanism that will prevent the body from unscrewing in your pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment