Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Possibilities

 This interesting chunk of wood was sourced off of Craigslist last night.  I saw and ad for a shelf full of burls.  Unfortunately I was too late for that ad but they seller said he had a few more I might be interested in.  A Buckeye burl (below) and a large "Basketball sized" Oak burl.
 I was interested in the Buckeye, not as interested in the Oak burl but I took enough cash with me for both.  The Oak burl was closer to 20" diameter but it looked like it had been sitting exposed to the weather for at least a decade and was rotten right through the center.  On the far end of his woodpile he had this piece.  He wasn't sure what wood it is but I knew I had to have it.  The price he quoted was quite a bit less than what I was willing to pay so it was loaded up.  He also had an older 110v Gast vacuum pump that I picked up.  I'm not certain what I'm going to do with it but I couldn't pass it up either.  It's very similar to my 220v pump but this has the advantage of being able to be used anywhere with standard power, a huge advantage for demos and travel.





 This is the Buckeye piece.  It's about 14-15" diameter and 9-10" deep with quite a bit of grey color.  Surprisingly light for its size.
This will probably end up being a natural edge nested set but that will have to wait, I'm headed out of town for vacation soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment